A place with history
The Hotel Post in Saalbach
We at Hotel Post have been placing the utmost importance on traditional hospitality for more than 550 years.
Even though the Glemmtal has been populated since ancient times, with an ancient transport route passing through it from Pinzgau to Tyrol, today’s capital of the valley – Saalbach – is relatively young. Around 1350 it seems to have been little more than a farm. The settlement obviously grew due to the rise of the mining industry. It is unknown when the church was built – the first mention of it in official documents is in 1410.
The village grew rapidly in the 15th century, with the year 1431 providing proof of this: In that year Hermann Grieser, the archbishop’s court master, administrator of all the estates subject to the archbishop’s manorial rule, allowed the brothers Heinrich and Nikolaus Habichler to serve wine and set up a tavern in their house in “Saalbach” – today’s “Hotel Gasthof Post” – for which they had to pay an annual interest of one pound of pennies. This is therefore one of the rare cases where the age of an inn – our Hotel Post – can be determined exactly to the year.
We look forward to welcoming you here at the traditional and historical Hotel Post soon!